So.. this past week was just chock full of progress. We got the foot molds open (apparently I didn’t take any photos of that, sorry), the hand molds are made and opened (though not cleaned out yet, doing that today!), and the beginning of the wing structure is finally finished!
We’ll be using fiberglass poles for the wing structure :)
By next week, we hope to have the dreads sculpted and molded, and the cowl that the dreads will be sculpted on molded, as well as having an oven built, hopefully!
Last week was insanely busy for me, between being home a day late from a trip to visit some friends due to airline issues, guests coming over, going to a book signing for George R. R. Martin, and a birthday party, so I didn’t get as much done as I had hoped. We’re still doing pretty darn good though in progress land.
Both foot molds are done… but neither of them are opened. Fingers crossed that these babies decide to open for us, apparently stone molds can be a pain. We’ll be hopefully opening them tonight.
We started finally working on the wings. This is a fiberglass back plate that will be going on my back under a corset. The corset will help support the wings and put all the weight onto my hips, in theory.
This is just one of the plates that are going to be attached to the fiberglass back plate. Mario worked on bending it with a map gas torch, and we should be attaching them this week.
We drew this a long time ago, but this is the scale we’re planning on for the wings. We want me to be able to move around with them, without them being too large to get up the stairs or down the ramp for the costume contest, or being too small to where they don’t make as much of an impact.
This is what the gloves looked like when I started working on them a few days ago. They’ll be finished today, and molded in fiberglass tomorrow.
Weird angle so they don’t look quite right, but here is one glove almost finished.
That’s it for the progress post for today, next week I hope to have a lot more progress done for you to read about!
This past weekend we worked on the feet for Kerrigan. I finished sculpting the feet, smoothed it out, and then we molded them. Well. one of them. Continue reading
This weekend, Mario and I attached some steel rods for support so the fiberglass mold won’t warp (we’re likely adding on more later on) and unmolded Kerrigan. We started by first drilling holes around the mold for bolts to go in to, then inserted the bolts and secured them with wing nuts. Then Mario used a vibratory saw to clean up the edges so the edge of the mold would be cleaner, and finally we found a seam and started to gently pry open the mold by inserting a screwdriver, and then inserting popsicle sticks all the way around.
She was fiberglassed on to the board so we had to cut her off. The mold wasn’t damaged at all from this.
More on how we fully got the mold apart later, but here are some more pictures!
I was going to do a weekly Kerrigan update, but then I realized that we’re so busy, some weeks go by that we only get a tiny bit of progress done, barely anything that’s worth mentioning on the blog, so I’ll update whenever I have more than one thing to show you guys.