Queen of Blades update: August 2

Last week was insanely busy for me, between being home a day late from a trip to visit some friends due to airline issues, guests coming over, going to a book signing for George R. R. Martin, and a birthday party, so I didn’t get as much done as I had hoped. We’re still doing pretty darn good though in progress land.

Both foot molds are done… but neither of them are opened. Fingers crossed that these babies decide to open for us, apparently stone molds can be a pain. We’ll be hopefully opening them tonight.

We started finally working on the wings. This is a fiberglass back plate that will be going on my back under a corset. The corset will help support the wings and put all the weight onto my hips, in theory.

This is just one of the plates that are going to be attached to the fiberglass back plate. Mario worked on bending it with a map gas torch, and we should be attaching them this week.

We drew this a long time ago, but this is the scale we’re planning on for the wings. We want me to be able to move around with them, without them being too large to get up the stairs or down the ramp for the costume contest, or being too small to where they don’t make as much of an impact.

This is what the gloves looked like when I started working on them a few days ago. They’ll be finished today, and molded in fiberglass tomorrow.

Weird angle so they don’t look quite right, but here is one glove almost finished.

That’s it for the progress post for today, next week I hope to have a lot more progress done for you to read about!

 

Advertisements

Queen of Blades update: July 12

 

This weekend, Mario and I attached some steel rods for support so the fiberglass mold won’t warp (we’re likely adding on more later on) and unmolded Kerrigan. We started by first drilling holes around the mold for bolts to go in to, then inserted the bolts and secured them with wing nuts. Then Mario used a vibratory saw to clean up the edges so the edge of the mold would be cleaner, and finally we found a seam and started to gently pry open the mold by inserting a screwdriver, and then inserting popsicle sticks all the way around.

She was fiberglassed on to the board so we had to cut her off. The mold wasn’t damaged at all from this.

More on how we fully got the mold apart later, but here are some more pictures!

I was going to do a weekly Kerrigan update, but then I realized that we’re so busy, some weeks go by that we only get a tiny bit of progress done, barely anything that’s worth mentioning on the blog, so I’ll update whenever I have more than one thing to show you guys.
Happy crafting!

 

 

In case you were wondering… my (Alice’s) Blizzcon costume!

That’s right, people, I am going to be attending Blizzcon 2011 as Kerrigan, Queen of Blades! The costume is based on most of her more recent pictures; the wings will be similar in shape to the picture below, and thanks to Steve Wang uploading a ton of pictures of the making of the statue of her he did for Blizzard, I have an entire binder full of reference photos!

I’ll be putting up a guide on how we’re making this, for sure, but not until after the costume is completely finished- I want to make sure the whole thing is complete before I start writing up tutorials for it.

This is the current state of her! I was going to wait until both sides were fiberglassed and apart, but darn it, I’m too excited, and I wanted to announce it while everyone was still awake, since we’re not going to be done with glassing until late tonight!

Some sculpture pictures!

In case people are wondering, we’re planning on doing this as a full body suit, cast in foam latex. We’ve been planning this since January and working on it since¬†February. At this time, we’ve put 180 hours into it, and plan on working on it a whole lot more.

I’m so excited for Blizzcon this year! I can’t wait to see everyone there!